HLTAID001 Provide Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation
Information about the course:
This course teaches the skills and knowledge required to perform cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) in line with the Australian Resuscitation Council (ARC) Guidelines. This course is developed for existing workers in the industry who may require CPR training as recommended by the ARC. If you are completing this course, please download the student agreement.
This unit of competency is classified as current as per the information provided for this unit at www.training.gov.au.
Those who are required to provide an emergency first aid response in a workplace.
There are no prerequisite, entry, work-placement, licencing or certification requirements for this course.
Students are not required to bring any materials or equipment with them to the course.
It is a Training Package requirement of this course that you are physically capable of performing uninterrupted CPR for at least 2 minutes on a CPR manikin placed on the floor.
Students who successfully complete this nationally recognised training will be awarded the statement of attainment for:
- HLTAID001 Provide Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation
It is recommended this unit be renewed every 12 months in line with industry standards.
- Full course: 3 hours face-to-face
- Full course: pre-course study plus 2 hours face-to-face
- Refresher course: pre-course study plus 1.5 hours face-to-face
Important information regarding course durations:
Course durations, as mentioned above, are reflective of group sizes of between 4 and 15 participants. If there are less students in a group, you may find course duration reduced by a maximum of 10%. If a class size exceeds 15 participants it may therefore also be necessary to increase course duration depending on the number of participants.
Pre course study options:
There are a few different options for completing your pre-course study.
We recommend our First Aid News Video as it is the most convenient option.
Other options include
- Online training
- Hard copy coloured workbook
The pre course study includes a short self assessment knowledge quiz. You must take the completed paper with you to the training course.
Related Course Documentation
HLTAID001 What are the pre-requisites for this course?
There are no pre-requisites for this course
HLTAID001 What does the course include?
- Coloured first aid manual
- Email copy of your certificate when competent
- Coloured A4 certificate and plastic wallet card
- Web based verfication system to authenticate your award
What are the Language, Literacy and Numeracy requirements for this course?
In order to meet competency for this unit, you will be required to meet the LLN requirements of the Training Package. You can find more information regarding our LLN support services here
Do I need a USI before enrolling?
All participants must gain a Unique Student Identifier (USI) prior to enrolling in and attending their course. You can apply for your USI here. Please note that you will not receive a Statement of Attainment for your course until you have supplied your USI to Allens Training
Where can this training be delivered?
The course requires training either at the workplace, so students can develop skills consistent with the job environment, at a simulated workplace or in a classroom setting
What should I look for when choosing a training provider?
The Australian Skills and Qualifications Authority (ASQA) has developed a fact sheet to help you to be fully informed about your decision to enrol into a course. This information can be found by clicking here
A copy of the Student Agreement should be read before enrolling in this course.
What are my rights and responsibilties as a student?
The Australian Skills and Qualification Authority (ASQA) requires that students be aware of their rights and responsibilities once they have selected their training provider. By enrolling into any of our courses you are deemed to have accepted the terms and conditions outlined in our Student Agreement .
All students will be required to show proof of identification at the commencement of the course.
(HLTAID001) What skills and knowledge will I get from this course?
There must be demonstrated evidence that the candidate has completed the following tasks at least once in line with state/ territory regulations, first aid codes of practice, ARC guideling and workplace procedures:
Conducted a hazard assessment and identified strategies to minimise risk
Demonstrated safe manual handling techniques
Assessed airway, breathing and responsiveness of casualty
Performed at least two minutes of uninterrupted CPR on both an adult and an infant resuscitation manikin placed on the floor, demonstrating the following techniques on each:
- checking for response and normal breathing
- recognising abnormal breathing
- opening and clearing the airway
- using correct hand location, compression depth rate in line with the ARC recommended ratio of compressions and ventilations
- acting in the event of regurgitation or vomiting
- following single rescuer procedure, including the demonstration of a rotation of operators with minimal interruptions to compressions
Followed the prompts of an Automated External Defibrillator (AED)
Provided an accurate verbal report of the incident
Responded to at least one simulated resuscitation scenario contextualised to the candidate’s workplace/community setting.
The candidate must be able to demonstrate essential knowledge required to effectively complete tasks outlined in elements and performance criteria of this unit, manage tasks and manage contingencies in the context of the work role. This includes knowledge of:
State/territory regulations, first aid codes of practice and workplace procedures including:
- ARC Guidelines relevant to the provision of CPR
- safe work practices to minimise risks and potential hazards
- infection control principles and procedures including use of standard precautions
- requirements for currency of skill and knowledge
Legal, workplace and community considerations, including:
- need for stress-management techniques and available support following an emergency situation
- duty of care requirements
- respectful behaviour towards a casualty - own skills and limitations
- privacy and confidentiality requirements
- importance of debriefing
Considerations when providing CPR, including: - airway obstruction due to body position
- appropriate duration and cessation of CPR - appropriate use of an AED
- chain of survival
- standard precautions
Basic anatomy and physiology relating to:
- absence of normal breathing
- anatomy of the external chest
- physiology relating to response/consciousness - upper airway anatomy and effect of positional change.
(HLTAID001) How will I be assessed for this course?
The following assessment tasks are required for this course:
- Theory Questions consisting of multiple choice and short answer questions
- Simulated Practical Scenarios
Please note: CPR must be demonstrated on the floor for 2 minutes
assessment duration: 2 hours
(HLTAID001) Where can I access a copy of the Training Package?
You can access a copy of the training package here
Is there any latex in the manikins?
Resuscitation manikins are latex free.
Do I need to complete a refresher or recertification for CPR?
Recertification recommended every 12 months.
To qualify for a refresher course, you must bring a copy of your current certificate to the training session. You will then be required to:
Complete the online or paper-based pre-course workbook and attend a 2 hour practical course.
- Proof of currency must be submitted to qualify for this course.
How can I contact my trainer?
You can contact a trainer in your area for this course in our First Aid Trainer Directory.