HLTAID008 Manage First Aid Services & Resources
Information about the course:
This unit describes the skills and knowledge required to establish, maintain and facilitate the provision of appropriate first aid in the workplace.
The unit applies to workers in nominated occupational first aid or management roles.
Specific licensing requirements relating to this competency, including requirements for refresher training, should be obtained from the relevant state/territory Work Health and Safety Regulatory Authority.
This unit of competency is classified as current as per the information provided for this unit at www.training.gov.au.
This unit is appropriate for those undertaking first aid responsibilities in a first aid room.
There are no prerequisite, entry, work-placement, licencing or certification requirements for this course.
Students are not required to bring any materials or equipment with them to the course.
This unit is completed within a skills set for Occupational First aid
HLTSS00027 - Occupational First Aid Skill Set.
This skill set provides a set of skills to establish, maintain and facilitate the provision of appropriate first aid in a workplace environment, including the skills to provide an emergency first aid response in the event of an emergency. Following completion of the skills set, the units awarded would be:
HLTAID006 Provide advanced first aid
HLTAID007 Provide advanced resuscitation
HLTAID008 Manage first aid services and resources
Award issued for this unit:
Students who successfully complete this nationally recognised training will be awarded the statement of attainment for:
- HLTAID008 Manage first aid services and resources
- Full course: 6 hours face to face training
- Refresher course: 6 hours face to face training
It is recommended this unit be renewed every 3 years in line with industry standards.
Important information regarding course durations:
Course durations, as mentioned above, are reflective of group sizes of between 4 and 15 participants. If there are less students in a group, you may find course duration reduced by a maximum of 10%. If a class size exceeds 15 participants it may therefore also be necessary to increase course duration depending on the number of participants.
Related Course Documentation
What should I look for when choosing a training provider?
The Australian Skills and Qualifications Authority (ASQA) has developed a fact sheet to help you to be fully informed about your decision to enrol into a course. This information can be found by clicking here
A copy of the Student Agreement should be read before enrolling in this course.
What are my rights and responsibilties as a student?
The Australian Skills and Qualification Authority (ASQA) requires that students be aware of their rights and responsibilities once they have selected their training provider. By enrolling into any of our courses you are deemed to have accepted the terms and conditions outlined in our Student Agreement .
All students will be required to show proof of identification at the commencement of the course.
(HLTAID008) What skills and knowledge will I get from this course?
You will be able to demonstrate
- you have conducted a workplace risk assessment
- developed a first aid response plan including strategies for management of incidents
- used a first aid checklist to service a workplace first aid kit for supplies’ replacement and equipment maintenance
- maintained first aid equipment and resources according to manufacturer’s instructions
- used and maintained documentation required by the workplace and regulatory authorities.
You will have knowledge of state/territory regulations, first aid codes of practice and workplace procedures including:
- workplace requirements for first aid provision in line with the relevant state/territory
- duty of care in relation to first aid provision
- safe work practices to deal with risks and potential hazards including manual handling, hazardous substances, dangerous goods and chemicals
- infection control principles and procedures, including use of standard precautions based on incident
- requirements for currency of skill and knowledge
- legal, workplace or community issues relating to the provision of CPR including:
- awareness of potential need for stress-management techniques and available support following an emergency situation
- capabilities of emergency management services
- privacy and confidentiality requirements
- importance of debriefing.
(HLTAID008) How will I be assessed for this course?
The following assessment tasks are required for this course:
- Theory Questions consisting of multiple choice and short answer questions
- Performance Tasks
(HLTAID008) Where can I access a copy of the training package?
You can access of copy of the training package here
How can I contact my trainer?
You can contact a trainer in your area for this course in our First Aid Trainer Directory.
What are the Language, Literacy and Numeracy requirements for this course?
In order to meet competency for this unit, you will be required to meet the LLN requirements of the Training Package. You can find more information regarding our LLN support services here